What is FASTag? Did You Get It Yet?
FASTag is a combination of two words – ‘Fast’ and ‘Tag’. This simply means that it’s a device with which you can travel seamlessly on Indian National Highways. You don’t need to stand in long queues to pay the toll on national highways. Now, you can pay the tool by a prepaid tag that works on RFID technology.
Furthermore, it is a perfect solution for a hassle-free trip on national highways. At present, FASTag is operational at 180 toll plazas across national and state highways. In the future, Highway Authority plans to bring more toll plazas under the FASTag program.
The Government of India has now set the last date to get the FASTag to December 15, 2019.
The FASTag is a simple to use, reloadable tag. It is linked to your prepaid account which deducts the applicable toll amount. It has a barcode embedded onto it which has your tag account details. The barcode enables the automatic deduction of toll charges. It lets your vehicle pass through the toll gates without stopping for the cash transaction.
Furthermore, the tag works on Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) technology. However, you need to paste the FASTag sticker on the vehicle’s windscreen after your tag account is active. The sensors at the toll gate will read the barcode on your tag which is pasted on the windscreen. Then, the sensors automatically deduct the toll amount from your pre-paid tag account. Once the toll gets deducted, you will get an SMS on your mobile about the transaction details. When your tag account balance gets low, you will also get an SMS alert so that you can recharge the tag account.
Where can I get it?
You can get the tag at toll plazas or from issuing agencies such as banks. Some banks have online forms that you need to fill up. Once you fill the inquiry form, it generates a query. Then, the customer should visit the office to fill up a required form. Additionally, you need to submit the necessary documents to create a FASTag account.
Which documents do you need?
The FASTag needs the following documents for issuance:
- Registration certificate (RC) of the vehicle.
- Passport size photo of the vehicle owner.
- KYC documents of the vehicle owner. (Identity proof, address proof).
What are the charges?
- The issuing agency charges a one-time tag joining fee of about Rs 200.
- At the time of the issue of FASTag, you need to pay a refundable deposit (depending upon the type of vehicle) to the issuing agency.
- However, the deposit amount is refunded at the time of FASTag account closure
How to recharge?
- Furthermore, the FASTag account can be operated online using the issuer agency’s web portal.
- The account can be recharged online using debit/credit card/ RTGS/NEFT or through Netbanking.
- For online recharge, convenience fees are levied against transaction processing fees
However, you need to carry original documents for verification at the time of submission of application for FASTag.
Do’s & Don’t’s of FASTag in a car:
- Clean the glass area and make it dust-free.
- The windscreen surface must be smooth and free from oil and dust/dirt.
- You should paste the FASTag on the windscreen glass from INSIDE of the vehicle on the left side of the IRVM sitting on the co-driver seat.
- Once pasted, it should be clearly visible from outside and inside.
On Standard Windscreens:
- Put IRVM in straight position. It should be at 90 degrees with the ground level.
- Then, remove the protective sheet (release paper) from FASTag.
- Paste FASTag to windscreen from inside of the vehicle on the co-driver side.
- However, it should be slightly away from the edge of the IRVM.
On V-shaped ceramic line windscreens:
- The tag should not be covered behind the ‘V’ shaped ceramic lines on some windscreens as the sensors at toll gates will not be able to detect it.
After pasting the tag, DO NOT attempt to remove it as this will lead to the breakage of the tag and it will not function.
What are the benefits of using FASTag?
1. Ease of payment – No need to carry cash for the toll transactions. Thus, it saves time.
2. Besides, the non-stop movement of vehicles leading to lower fuel consumption.
3. You can recharge the tag online through Credit Card / Debit Card / NEFT/ RTGS or Net banking.
4. SMS alerts facility for toll transactions, low balance, etc.
5. Online Portal for FASTag customers.
6. The validity of the tag is 5 Years.
Besides, there are other benefits such as:
- Economic benefit: Reduces effort in management at the toll plaza, Reduces effort in monitoring centrally.
- Environmental benefit: Reduces air pollution, Reduces the use of paper.
- Social benefit: Reduced toll payment hassles, analytics for better highway management.
Information source. Images – Courtesy – Digital India/FASTag